Pages

Monday 9 December 2013

And Time for Play

Continuing on with last week's quest for freedom, I was reminded this weekend of the importance of play.  Not just in yoga, but life in general. 

On Sunday our local hospice organised a charitable Santa Run - a 3k run (or walk in some instances), dressed as Santa, through the streets of Lymington.  For £12 you got your bright red Santa suit and entrance to the race, with all proceeds going to the charity.  It brought new meaning to seeing red.  Literally, everywhere you turned, there were Santas, of all different shapes and sizes, creed and colour.  It was immensely heart-warming to see everyone's commitment, not only to the cause, but also to having fun.  

Lymington Santa Run
(courtesy Phill Brown)

Only I wasn't part of it.  Instead I chose to get on with my household chores and preparations for the festive season (oh, the irony) and, oh how I regretted it.  Once the buzz and euphoria of everyone getting togged up for the race, bending and flexing in their new attire, accompanied by much hilarity and excitement, was over, I found myself alone. Alone with my guilt for not taking part, for not making my contribution towards needy people, and for generally being a stick-in-the-mud.

Regretting my decision to stay behind, as I climbed into the loft to get the Christmas decorations down, I reflected upon the obstacles that are still holding me back, the fears I'm possibly still harbouring.  

I'm still working on that (in danger of getting too deep again), but decided I no longer want to have regrets like this and have made a mental note to remind myself in future to make room for more play, to grab each opportunity as if it were the last and not take myself so seriously.  Indeed, why should it matter if I don't do the washing up, tidy from the night before, put the Christmas decorations up, etc etc.  Really, life's already too short.

Today's sequence looks at some basic hip openers (as part of a dealing with obstacles theme - more on that soon).  In the meantime, apologies for the rudimental video filming skills and terrible camera angles - not the best way to demonstrate the postures (nor technique for that matter) - Let's just call it serious playfulness!



Click below link if video doesn't open:
http://youtu.be/YkSHMIpIags

In the meantime, bring on next year's Santa Run - I WILL BE THERE (once I'm over that hurdle)!




No comments:

Post a Comment