Pages

Friday 6 December 2013

Finding Freedom

In yesterday's post I reflected upon the need to practice yoga from a solid foundation, about being fully present and grounded in our practice and being content with where we're at - no matter what level of physical ability or stature we are blessed with.  As such, one can hope to achieve a sense of physical and mental harmony.

However, I wish to add a small addendum - whilst our foundations (by that I mean both physical stance and mental focus) are key, it's equally important not to over-emphasise this need for stability, otherwise we run the risk of becoming stuck.   

I know it looks like I'm backtracking here, it's more a desire to incorporate a third element - that of freedom - more realistically, the finding of a balance between stability and freedom.  

In being free, allow yourself to reach out and be playful in your yoga practice, to reach the fullest and most delightful expression of each posture, and to expand to your greatest potential in that moment.  Think of it as a liberation of your body (physical), mind (ego) and spirit (consciousness).  

Letting go isn't easy, I know.  And this is certainly not something that happens over night.  At this stage, all I'm suggesting is be mindful of this as a potential goal, a way of realising your true identity.

Phew, heavy stuff for a Friday night.  We can look at this again another time.


For now, I am devoting today's practice to finding Freedom, in whatever form.


Click the link to see video:
http://youtu.be/Am8rh9Q29Bg

And, it seems appropriate here to leave you with this quote from one great fighter for freedom, whose long walk [to freedom] sadly ended yesterday, 5th December 2013.  
RIP Nelson (Madiba) Mandela:

I have walked that long road to freedom.  I have tried not to falter; I have made missteps along the way.  But I have discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb.  I have taken a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance I have come.  But I can rest only for a moment, for with freedom comes responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not yet ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment